Tuesday, February 20, 2018

i've had this note sitting around for a while. a-propos of genuinely nothing

I have this memory of seeing animated cartoons, in my mis-spent childhood (recalled now in my mis-spent current age), in which a particular sort of Bully is depicted as a Bull; and because cartoons for children typically gloss over more naturalistic details, we know this is a Bull rather than a Cow because of his broad shoulders and the large ring in his nose.

That ring. I'm sure you know the sort. The ring that says "I'm a tough big strong hefty substance, don't cross me!"

Except....

Bulls, of course, are not born with rings. They are an instrument added by neatherds, for a particular purpose. Specifically, rings (this is some topology we all know!) admit connection. It could be by clip to a chain, or by knot to a rope, but the principal is that rings can be linked, more conveniently than girth or neck-lace (esp. if the beast is apt to use hoof or horn). And the ring is linked to the bull through the nose because the nose is particularly sensitive. It allows a (relatively) small farmer to lead a (comparatively) large bull (perhaps from a respectful distance), literally, by its nose.

Or, to put it another way, that ring renders the bully literally docile.

Which, I'm sorry to say, was never depicted in any of those cartoons.

3 comments:

me said...

I remember such cartoons, and remember wondering why they never put ropes in those rings. But I don't remember thinking about docility, per se, but about taming the bull, or restraining him.

me said...

That timestamp for my comment seems a few hours off to me...

Belfry Bat said...

Yes, my blog thinks it's on the Pacific Coast of North America

Post a Comment