Tuesday, January 20, 2009

In my own audacity

Dear Mr. President,

My congratulations to you. I have my hopes, even high hopes, for your term in office, and for the Republic in your care during that time. They are --- as it happens --- exactly the same hopes I have for every president, king, or revered chief, and for every Republic, Kingdom, or peopled wilderness. They are mostly not the hopes of the many who together have appointed you; naturally, you must think my hopes quite unrealistic. They may even be repugnant to you; but wherever our hopes coincide I hope above all that you do not void whatever goodness be in your goals through seeking it by ways reprehensible. The content of our character, after all, is reflected not only in what we do, but how we do it.

God's blessings be on you and all in your protection,

A foreigner in a world made small

1 comments:

Belfry Bat said...

Oh well. Seems *my* hopes had already been dashed by yesterday afternoon. Maybe next president. Or perhaps this one might go on a foreign affairs trip to Damascus, and on the way... well.

Remember, God can bring good out of whatever we give him!

Post a Comment